Old March 15th 13, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Keith W[_4_]

Default Vought Inverted Gull Wing Question

Bob wrote:
Hello,

Figure that you folks would know.

I seem to remember (Sr. Citizen now) that there was a fighter plane
around WW II time that had an inverted gull wing like the Vought
Corsair, but going "the other way."

First was an upward angle prior to the straight wing section.

Am I right that there was one like this ?
No idea that I can recall for the reason for doing it like this.
Possibly experimental.

If so, what was it, please ?

Thanks,
Bob

Well there was the prewar Curtiss XP-10 which was a biplane
and the gull wing was to give the aircrew better visibility
as did the Polikarpov I-15 and the Berliner-Joyce P-16

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner-Joyce_P-16

The Polish PLZ P.11 was a gull wing monoplane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgZwHDLF6qs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PZL_P.11

Keith