Old September 6th 18, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

Default stowing horizontal stabilizer on tail boom in trailer

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 8:14:01 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I have seen a glider trailer in which the aircraft's horizontal stabilizer is strapped to the glider's tail boom for storage and transport. I can't recall where I saw this, and a google image search did not yield any hits.

At any rate, strapping the horizontal stabilizer to the tail boom is one solution I am investigating as my partner and I work to retrofit a new tube trailer to our DG-101. It seems to me that this could be a storage configuration that would not require the awkward stooped climb-and-carry maneuver that is required if the stabilizer is attached to the roof of the trailer.

I am seeking advice on whether this is generally a good idea and if there is a commercial product we could use.

Matt

My DG100 had that setup and it worked well. The trailer and hor stab carrier were both homemade. If you search the FAA database and find the current owner of
N9994F maybe you could get some photos to fabricate one.

Mike