Old July 24th 03, 07:10 PM
Tim Lavoie

"John" == John Steed writes:

When Linux is seen more and more in the corporate domain you'll
start reading about all of it's security vulnerabilities.

John Don't tell that to the Linux advocates. According to them
John you don't need an anti-virus program because you won't get
John any using Linux. I've used Mandrake and there are always
John security issues with each version, only problem is that
John getting all of those updates is a royal pain in the butt
John compared to Windows.

All systems have bugs, and vulnerabilities will come up. People do
talk about Linux security vulnerabilities, along with those of all
other operating systems, but some get fixed faster than others.

I haven't used Mandrake, but updating the works in Debian is pretty
much a one-liner, including dependency checks etc.

I suspect the main issue which comes up is that the Windows
environment tends to be much more homogenous, and the sole vendor
likes to integrate "features" which bite their users later. Everybody
have Outlook? Yup. How about executable spreadsheets and Word docs?
Yup. Poor default choices in one app allow rogue code to exploit the
idiot features of another, creating a huge market for a potential
virus.

You can send viruses to me too, but neither Gnus nor Mutt will try to
execute them, and you won't find an Outlook address book for further
targets either.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft ... and the
only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor.