Old April 19th 20, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Bad Aviation Films

On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 22:30:30 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Off on a slight tangent one flying book at really like to see filmed is
Ken Deighton's "Bomber". Its a rivetting read and made a *great* radio
play a few years back. The book tells the fictional story of a WW2 raid
on Germany that went wrong, starting on the morning before the raid and
ending as the bombers landed, with a final follow-up of what happened to
the main surviving characters after the War. The raid is covered from
both sides throughout .

Radio 4 broadcast it as several segments, each section broadcast at about
the time of day when it would have happened.

On this side of the pond "Bomber" is regarded as one of the best WW2
flying books to be written.

I'd certainly put it alongside "Winged Victory" by VW Yeates - thats one
of the few WW1 flying novels that RAF aircrew would read, probably
because Yeates was a Camel pilot on the Western Front, so had lived what
he wrote about. However, you guys might prefer "Goodbye Mickey Mouse" to
"Bomber", of only because its a story about a bomber escort squadron
flying P-51s. I bet it would film well, too.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org