Old July 27th 03, 02:44 PM
Martin Hotze

On 27 Jul 2003 07:51:06 -0500, Steve House wrote:

you can't trim the quoted test, can you?

^^^^

should have been "rest". sorry - a typo.

Sure I can. Is this better?

a litle bit. you cutted away the text you are _referring_ to.

Now, of course, no one reading this message
sees any of what you wrote except that one line and unless they have been
faithfully reading this thread for the last several days they have no idea
of the contexts of your remark or my reply to it. I suspect that the vast
majority of people reading these words are lurkers who visit maybe once or
twice a week.

wild guesses

Most ISPs that I'm aware of have just a few days dwell time
for the messages on their news servers.

you mean those who offer flat high speed access for very little money? you
get what you pay for.

By tomorrow or the day after many
people reading this would not be able to go back and retrieve your message
that prompted this response to if they wished to see what you had written.

bad news servers. their problem, not mine.

They certainly would not be able to get back to the even earlier messages in
the thread. (Yes, I know about Google and I know other subscription servers
have much longer retention times, that's one reason I use one myself). By

ok

not trimming the quotes to any great extent, OTOH, other readers in the
thread would be able to see your comments in their entirety, and if
interested my comments that had prompted yours and so forth back in line,
without have to search Google and irrespective of whether their ISP is
retaining the thread or not.

the references are in the header.

I've suggested that when data comms were
expensive the "no top post, trim all the quotes to the bone" approach made
perfect sense but now that data transfer is cheaper than dirt the
disadvantages outway the advantages.

you know how usenet works? how often is your posting duplicated all over
the world?
Besides these are the rules of the usenet. Go and build your usenet and
apply your rules there, it is rather easy to do. Just start your own - for
example - stevehouse.* hierarchy.

OK, what is your estimate on what bandwidth costs? what do you think is the
cost for one megabit transit? (and now we haven't even calculated expenses
for operating the network, etc.)

And bandwidth is only a fraction of the total cost. Just check your
hardware vendor for some storage systems to hold several gigs. Then go for
the hardware to spool it. Then also count the feed-traffic and also the
'get' traffic.

It would be best if everybody would just log on to a big terminal server in
Redmont, eh? This would solve many problems.

#m
--
http://www.usawatch.org/ http://www.alternet.org/

24 "Deceptions" In 704 words: Bush's 2003 SOTU
http://www.buzzflash.com/contributor...7/22_sotu.html