Old January 14th 21, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

Default FLARM releases firmware for ADS-R and TIS-B

On Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 6:12:27 AM UTC-8, Urban Mäder wrote:
On Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 8:23:00 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Moshe,

Only TIS-B has position uncertainty from the imprecision of SSR, which varies with the distance from the radar station. Both ADS-R and TIS-B have some position error from delay introduced by the reception-processing-rebroadcast sequence. ADS-B is not designed for close proximity collision warning - it's more a traffic separation tool - 5 miles and 1000 feet. I believe you can get ADS-R/TIS-B traffic alerts at, say, 1 mile, depending on on your display.

Yes. We will try enabling traffic alerts for ADS-R, but I'm a bit reluctant since correctly detecting tow trains may be hard, given the (uncertain) time delay.

Honestly, the dual-ADS-B setup in the US - of which ADS-R/TIS-B is the consequence - is a surprisingly complex beast. We're thus happy to hear your feedback, preferably with IGC log files sent along to .

Thanks
- Urban

The Benefit for upgrading to 7.03 is that the annual update is reset.

FLARM uses a rolling release cycle, requiring an annual update. Each update can be applied anytime during a rolling one-year period. This makes it easier to align FLARM firmware updates with the yearly aircraft maintenance. It is also in line with the maintenance care that a safety system requires.

The ADS-R and TIS-B reception is important to be able to receive aircraft that have UAT instead of 1090ES or that have no ADS-B Out at all.

You can purchase at:

http://www.craggyaero.com/powerflarm_core1.htm

Happy New Year

Richard