Old January 5th 11, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default FLARM firmware release schedule

On Jan 4, 10:01*pm, mattm wrote:
On Jan 4, 3:07*pm, Andy wrote:

This may be of interst to those who have ordered PowerFLARM:

http://flarm.net/support/updates/index_en.html

This part is very worrying to me:

"When is the next scheduled service update due?
Since its creation FLARM has maintained scheduled updates, initially
in a one year cycle, in 2006 a two year cycle, and last time in 2008 a
three year cycle. As the technology matures, we further extend this
period to now four years, i.e. March 1, 2015. This is more convenient
for some users, but slows down the innovation cycle, possibly delaying
the use in new applications."

Surely FLARM cannot believe that they will deliver in April fully
functional and bug free software for PowerFLARM. *Will owners have to
live with any bugs or missing functionality until 2015?

Is there some path by which PowerFLARM will be updated independently
of the main FLARM firmware update schedule?

Andy

I'll also point out that the FLARM protocol is patented, and supplied
to the vendors
as software that they include in their units. *The fact that
PowerFLARM will
come out with a stable and working FLARM protocol version is good
news.
The software that handles ADS-B and transponder traffic is separate
from
the supplied FLARM software indicated in the notice quoted above. *If
there's
any problems in that part it can be updated immediately.

-- Matt

Are you suggesting that PowerFLARM uses a partitioned architecture, or
that that these "non FLARM" functions are handled by a separate
processor? If not, there will be one firmware load that supports all
functions. Of course it's reasonable to expect that the firmware load
for PowerFLARM will be device specific.

I'm still hoping that someone close to the project will say what
functionality will be in the first delivery and what schedule is
planned for adding any functionality that is not included.

How are you so certain about the maturity of FLARM software. Did you
read the part about the significant changes to RF protocols and the
difficulties in getting adequate in service test time? It would not
surprise me bit if this RF change pulls resources away from PowerFLARM
new features.

Just in case anyone doubts my enthusiasm for PowerFLARM I'll go on
record as having ordered two. That's why I would like more
information on what to expect when.

Andy