Old January 2nd 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
JD

Default GNS 430W vs GNS 480

Mike,
My understanding that WAAS usage has been approved for landings, but
not for GPS navigation, seems screwy, but what's new?

On Jan 1, 6:24 pm, Mike Adams wrote:
"JD" wrote:
On Jan 1, 6:02 pm, Mike Adams wrote:
I think Roy is correct. The 430/530 *GPS* function is not
approved for primary nav, but the built-in VOR
receiver could serve as the required additional means of navigation.
The issue is not the box failing, it's the loss of RAIM integrity
with the older TSO C129a GPS boxes. This limitation goes away with
the WAAS approval.

Mike

From Garmin's news letter:

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/aviation/110906.html

"*Due to the TSO limitation in conjunction with the AFMS limitation,
Garmin's GNS 400/500 series navigators will not be certified as a
"primary means" of GPS navigation until after customers install a new
software version. Garmin expects to issue a Service Bulletin in the
first quarter of 2007 issuing the software. The software will be
updated via the 400/500W data loader card. This required software
update is expected to be available in the first quarter of 2007."Yes, I think we're saying the same thing. The 430W/530W will have primary means capability with this

new software version. This is the "WAAS approval" I referred to above. I interpreted Roy's question to be
regarding the basic 530 capability prior to the /W upgrade. The TSO C129a GPS approval is just for
supplemental nav, so the internal VOR can be used as the backup.

Mike