Old October 16th 13, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default LX7007 & "LX Compass module" - wind calc

On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:14:32 PM UTC-4, pete purdie wrote:
At 18:42 15 October 2013, Pam Howarth wrote:

(snip)

Real wind information is available (Butterfly Vario, Clearnav etc) and I

think it is valuable but it comes with a multi thousand Euro price tag so

upgrading my "old" (and perhaps not very reliable) technology is not an

option.

(/snip)

I haven't looked at Butterfly pricing, but the Clearnav vario (with instant

accurate wind and nav to home base) is only multi thousand Euro if the

multiplication factor is less than one. And (by user reports) is the best

vario on the market bar none.

' And (by user reports) is the best vario on the market bar none.'

That seems like a long stretch. Do you work for them?

The latest generation varios from Clearnav, LX, and Butterfly seem pretty comparable as a vario, the Butterfly has many more features than the others beyond the vario (and a price that reflects the features). I have not experienced how the others perform, but the Butterfly provides instantaneous wind (and I mean "instantaneous") and seems quite accurate.