Old September 1st 04, 05:35 PM
Peter Wyld

At 14:48 01 September 2004, Chip Bearden wrote:
There's a somewhat separate question of what the right
contents for
the procedures and checklists should be!

With apologies to pilots whose memories never fail
even under stress,
I'm one of those guys who does use a very detailed
written checklist.
Chewing gum isn't on it but things like food, drinking
water, reading
glasses, and landout jacket are. But I don't wait until
I'm #1 on the
takeoff line to use it.

etcetera

It's fun to scoff about obsessive/compulsive types
reaching for their
checklist and pencil during a spin recovery. But
I'll continue to
use my written checklist before every flight, as I
noted in the safety
talk I gave at this year's U.S. Standard Class Nationals.

Chip Bearden

At the World Gliding Championships many years ago,
I crewed for a guy who presented my fellow crewman
and I with a checklist containing 19 items regarding
the setting up of the glider ready for him to fly.
After about two days of practice we added two extra
items. #0 get rid of pilot, #20 ensure pilot in glider
before launching. We got on just fine after that (and
it was always just how he wanted it).