Old September 2nd 04, 07:49 PM
Chris OCallaghan

BTW,

I thought I'd add that "autorotation" is why highly controllable, low
stability aircraft can be spun with ailerons held into the direction
of spin. If you can roll fast enough with stick well back, the
resulting torque about the yaw access is sufficient to overpower a too
small vertical stabilizer (in designs where stability is sacrificed
for greater controlability). But this does not describe a modern,
certified glider. And, after all, we're looking for practical
knowledge we can take into the air. But I remain interested in whether
you can demonstrate that rolling torque alone will make the glider
spin. If it can't, then we can focus on other sources of adverse yaw
that contribute to the autorotation. If it can, then we'd all best be
looking for a new, safer passtime, like freeclimbing solo.

But hey! I'm making your argument for you.

Bert, this could really be fun. Fire away, please!