Old April 10th 04, 05:42 AM
Jim

The readback is meant to clarify the situation. In Sami's situation, it was
slightly confusing because he was first given a clearance direct from his
present position to the outer marker, then given a radio hand off before he
was even on a published portion of the approach, this in my mind leads me to
think the controller intended to clear him straight in but for some reason
didn't say the words, thus, I would give the read back that included the
words "straight in". If the controller says "read back correct", then I'd
be cleared straight in, which even though there is not a NoPT on the chart,
would be legal because it follows the clearance. Normally in this area,
once we descend below radar coverage, Minneapolis will request that we
"report procedure turn inbound" and then report the IAF before giving us a
radio handoff to a CTAF on a non-towered airport.

The turn in the hold is only an option that I brought up because it is a
legal form of course reversal. Not the best idea for establishing you on
the final approach path, I'll agree, but may be useful to either loose
altitude or get turned around and headed inbound in the least amount of
time.

BTW Sami, is that Mooney still for sale at ISW? Any idea of the real asking
price?

Jim