Old June 20th 04, 05:28 AM
Jim Baker

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

"Jim Baker" wrote in message

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

"Henry J Cobb" wrote in message
What was the weapon that the Pentagon authors think that Taiwan

either
has
now
or could develop that would breach the Three Gorges Dam?

http://militarynewswatch.blogspot.co...rpedo-dam.html

Crap. Went to the link and found...more rambling rants from Henry

himself!
Finally waded through the putrifying mass of illogical "analaysis"

provided
by himself and found the DoD report *itself*--only to find no mention

of
being able to breach Three Gorges, just a reference to a some

Taiwanese
having expressed the *opinion* that they think Taiwan needs to develop

capability to threaten high-value targets on the mainland, with Three

Gorges
as an example. Let's see--taking down associated generators,

substations,
HV
transmission lines, and/or damaging gates, etc., all constitute

"threats"
Three Gorges, so this is apparently just another HJC "leaping to

(wrong)
conclusions and supporting them with cites taken-out-of-context"

exercise...

Brooks

-HJC

Don't you guys read the newspapers? This story, about Taiwan holding

high
value targets on the mainland at risk to include breaching of said dam

as
primary, not just the associated infrasturcture, has been an AP piece in

the
LA Times all week. I think there were at least a couple of stories

about
it
including the Sino response about "...blocking out the sky..." with

their
retaliation. The first question is meant to be rhetorical. Don't ride

the
"no I don't read the crap liberal media" horse.

No, my impression of the general media when it comes to things military is
not too complimentary. If your numerous references in the LA Times to this
come from the DoD report mentioned by Mr. Cobb, then it has been taken out
of context (just as Mr. Cobb has--and has repeatedly done in the

past)--read
the actual verbage in the report. It does not credit Taiwan with this
capability, nor does it specify that in order to target said dam, one

would
have to actually breach it--it only mentions that some Taiwanese have
ruminated over the possibility of their being able to hit HVT's, with

Three
Gorges mentioned as an example, as being a good course of action for the
future. In other words, it is a non-story.

Brooks

Well, I'd have to say you missed the whole point of the "story" Brooks.
It's a political story about politics taken to extremes and what that would
mean to the U.S. politically or, more problematically, militarily, vis-a-vis
GWB stated intention to defend Taiwan. WRT the rest of your response, it's
irrelevant to me that you have a problem with Mr. Cobb whom I don't recall
seeing here before, maybe just me not noticing or you noticing too much. I
read the report and your interpretation of it not mentioning Taiwanese
military capability is, IMHO, also irrelevant to the story. It's a
political piece by the DoD discusing the East Asian balance of power and
that regions huge influence on the world militarily and politically over the
coming decades. In other words, it's the antithesis of a non-story.

R/JB