Old January 9th 04, 12:43 PM
Jim Kellett

"Ken Kochanski" wrote in message
om...
Will the transponder system work satisfactorily with the antenna on
the top of the fuselage? ... understanding that the radiation pattern
would not be ideal for the ground based interrogation systems.

I've got two mounted topside facing up - one on the forward part of the
instrument cowling in an Open CIrrus, and the other inside the fuselage on a
fabricated GP strapped to some structural members just over the cg in an
ASW-20C. Both work just fine. Can be seen by ground based radar, although
it may not be "ideal". OTOH, my primary interest in xponders is to light up
TCAS units which are airborne airliners anyhow, and they're not on the
ground gr.

Jim Kellett, Resident Curmudgeon

"We cannot guarantee success, but we can do something better. We can deserve
it." . . . John Adams