Old August 29th 03, 11:24 PM
Eric Miller

"Corrie" wrote
Topping the layoff list was Dennis Kozlowski, who pocketed $71 million
from Tyco International in 2002 before being forced out midyear.

Before his indictment on charges he evaded $1 million in sales tax on
fine art purchases, Tyco and Kozlowski announced layoffs in 2001 for
11,300.

So he made close to $6,300 for each person he laid off? Amazing. Sickening,
but amazing.

I'd like to say that corporation that take a bottom line approach will get
what they deserve.
Unfortunately, corporations aren't people, and the people who are hurt are
the workers, their families, and the entire economy due to cascade effects.

It used to be that the pay ratio of the lowest paid worker to the highest
paid member of the board was 20 to 1.
Frankly, I think anything above that is criminal. Even if I were offered the
20+ level, I couldn't rationalize it or accept it with a clear conscience. I
guess scruples will keep me from heading a major corporation in the
forseeable future.

Eric