Old July 20th 19, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Becker AR4201 transmit volume low

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 1:57:53 AM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
Another thing I wondered about was whether I would need to change the ground pin as well from 14 to 6, but it appears all is working as intended with just the change of pin 18 to pin 5. Thanks for all the help everyone.

John,

Glad you worked things out.

Not having the schematic for the Becker 4201 (anyone have one?) I honestly don't know if the different ground pins for standard or dynamic microphone are actually directly connected together within the radio or are kept separate. But I suspect they might be separate and go to different amplification circuits. Why? To reduce noise being transmitted along with your voice. That being said you won't harm the radio by using the "wrong" ground pin.

Bottom line - If your receive audio is clean then you could leave things alone. Test your audio quality by having a friend transmit while you are listening a considerable distance away on a handheld. The distance is important because nearly any radio will sound great (little or no background noise) when in close proximity. Better yet take a test flight and ask someone "far away" how you sound.

PS - You might want to reset the dynamic mic gain setting (SF16) back to the original value.

My $0.02.

- John (OHM)