Old August 21st 03, 02:29 AM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 05:33:03 -0500, Barnyard BOb --
wrote:

Could you possibly mean...

.028
.030

28 thousandths
30 thousandths

Barnyard BOb --

My apologies. I don't use a micrometer much and every time I do I
have to study and learn it over and over again.

I sympathize, since I did use a micrometer for many years. g
[Got that... big mouth Latchless Larry?]

I meant to say that the cylinders were rough bored to twenty eight
thousandths over, then honed to the final size which incorporated the
sixty thousandths piston clearance.

If that's .060" clearance, then that's what I meant to say.

To throw you another curve....
I'm thinking your piston clearance is really .006 or 6 thousandths.
Clare or Bruce may be chiming in on this one. g

Standard "rule of thumb" for engines you had no specs for was 2 thou
plus 2 thou per inch diameter. Which would be roughly 8 thou.
Camground pistons were usually fitted a bit tighter. Like about half
or less.
Factory spec for a 3.8 is 0.0014 to 0.0028