Old October 1st 17, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

On Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 12:51:48 PM UTC-7, Mike Schumann wrote:
I have a Dynon Skyview System with the SV-GPS-2020 GPS source installed in my Phoenix Motorglider. Having a full blown ADS~B IN / OUT system is eye opening. It’s astounding how much traffic there is that you never see visually.

We keep talking about airliners. At least as big a threat to gliders is other GA traffic, particularly when you are near airports. One of the closest calls I have had was landing a glider at a small rural airport, and while on the base leg discovering a helicopter hovering just off the arrival end of the runway. Turns out that the helio pilots were so engrossed in a BFR that they never heard my calls on the CTAF frequency and only realized I was in the area when I landed in the grass right next to them.

If we had universal ADS-B deployment on all aircraft, including gliders, balloons, drones, etc. we would all be a lot better off. It’s frustrating that the FAA has an attitude that they would rather not see COTS GPS at all rather than face the inconvenience of routing aircraft around a false position. It’s a bummer that Trig hasn’t been able to get the TN72 OKed for installation in a certified glider. Given this latest incident in Chicago, the SSA and AOPA should make it their top prriority to get the FAA to relax their standards for this kind of equipment.

The focus here was in airliners because of what happened in Chicago, not to ignore other issues.

Please be careful not to call the TN72 a "COTS GPS", it is not, it's a precision TSO-C199 GPS source for ADS-B Out. TSO-C199 devices might be based on consumer GPS technology, but are far from some untrusted COTS GPS that average freddie might just connect up to something. We need to be careful not to give anybody that impression we are talking about use of COTS GPS.

Mike I am as frustrated as you are about the TN72 situation. It's not 100% clear what the situation is for use in certified gliders. I have said in the past it's likely no go, based on inputs from other as well, but I am going back working over this again and reaching out to FSDOs and others in the FAA, and Trig and their US distributor, and working with SSA folks. We'll see where this goes.

It would be great to hear from any glider owners who have had discussions with FAA staff on a TN72 install in a certified or experimental glider (email me: ).