Old May 19th 17, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

Default Oxygen use at Hobbs

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 8:49:38 AM UTC-5, MNLou wrote:
One other thought - a number of we "not in our 40s anymore" pilots are setting the O2 to kick in at 5000 msl.

O2 is cheap. Clarity of mind at altitude - priceless!

Lou

Spent some time clambering around mountains in Colorado a couple years ago. I really felt the degradation of my exercise tolerance when we were much above 10,000. Even so, I never got the altitude headaches that everyone else seemed to get. Regardless, I'll not scrimp on the 02 use at Hobbs.

By the way, when we were on top of Mt. Evans, I looked up to see a glider passing by overhead. It was too high to make out the tail number but it appeared to be an LS-1f judging from the horizontal tail profile (don't think it was a Standard Cirrus since the fuselage was pretty skinny).