Old April 5th 17, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Benedict Smith

Default Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

At 14:30 05 April 2017, Sean Fidler wrote:
Gregg,

Eu=
rope, on the other hand, (again previously stated) developed a network of
F=
larm radar (2k per Flarm but I believe Flarm is mandatory in Europe).
Woul=
d you prefer mandatory Flarm? The FAA wanted to enforce a mandatory

ADSB
r=
equirement on gliders, something I strongly supported and continue to
suppo=
rt. That was 3-4K but far more powerful as a safety solution.

Thankfully that is only Europe and then only in some parts, probably very
sensible if you fly in the Alps! Luckily in the UK it is not mandatory but
it is
highly recommended, as it uses an open unregulated radio band it can never

be made compulsory or even be approved for ATC use as it is too insecure
and open to spoofing.
Things could have been different if we had been foolish enough to become
part of Europe, but luckily we had more sense!
Ben.

Nb the FLARM radar network is an amateur run and funded project (OGN)
completely separate from FLARM itself.