Old February 27th 07, 09:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Macklin

Default Rolling a Non Aerobat 150

A CFI may instruct spins to any level of pilot without
parachutes being worn. The spin is required for the CFI
applicant, but since it is required for some level of
certificate, it may be taught to any pilot. Of course no
passengers may be aboard, just the CFI and the "student."

91.307
(c) Unless each occupant of the aircraft is wearing an
approved parachute, no pilot of a civil aircraft carrying
any person (other than a crewmember) may execute any
intentional maneuver that exceeds-

(1) A bank of 60 degrees relative to the horizon; or

(2) A nose-up or nose-down attitude of 30 degrees relative
to the horizon.

(d) Paragraph (c) of this section does not apply to-

(1) Flight tests for pilot certification or rating; or

(2) Spins and other flight maneuvers required by the
regulations for any certificate or rating when given by-

(i) A certificated flight instructor; or

(ii) An airline transport pilot instructing in accordance
with §61.67 of this chapter

"Tom Inglima" wrote in message
.. .
| Spins have NEVER been in the private pilot PTS. The PTS
(Practical Test
| Standard) only has been in existence for around 20 years
or so. The last
| time spins were required for a Private Certificate was
back in the early
| 1950's or maybe the late 1940's. Note that there is
nothing that prevents
| an instructor from teaching spins to a student pilot.
However you would
| have to wear parachutes to be legal since the regs only
allow spins without
| the wearing of parachutes for people training for a flight
instructor
| certificate.
|
| The predecessor for the PTS was the Flight Test Guides.
These were slim
| volumes of not more than 20 pages and about 2 or 3 inches
wide and about 4
| inches high. In any case they were smaller than a 3 by 5
index card. they
| had very broad descriptions of maneuvers' and gave
examiners and inspectors
| wide latitude in what and how they wanted you to perform
various maneuvers.
| Part 61 was actually a much better regulation then in that
it clearly made
| the CFI responsible for preparing a competent pilot that
was able to show
| good judgment.
|
| The predecessor regs and guidance was to list the actual
maneuvers in the
| reg. If you could get a monkey to somehow do the maneuver
a certificate
| would be issued.
|
| Tom Inglima
|
| "Chris G." nospam@noemail wrote in message

eenews.net...
| Besides, spin training is NOT required for a private
pilot certificate.
| Spin AWARENESS (aka recognizing you're going to get into
a spin) is
| required. Spins are not part of the PTS anymore though.
|
| I don't necessarily think that omitting spins from the
PTS is the best
| move the FAA has made, but I don't know the whole story.
I know I'm
| having my instructor make sure he teaches me spins in
the 150 I'm learning
| in. I believe that training in spins and spin recovery
is a very
| important skills that could save my life one day.
|
| Chris
|

| wrote:
| On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:46:42 -0500, "Gig 601XL Builder"
| wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote:
|

| wrote in message
|
| On 27 Apr 2005 09:43:30 -0700, "Noah Fiedel"

| wrote:
|

| In addition, were you & your instructor wearing
parachutes
| as required for aerobatic flight?
|

| Not required, since spin training is required for a
rating.