Old August 15th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
The Visitor

Default Missing flight plans

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

And do you have some data to back this up?

As much as you do to refute it.

It is based on my personal observations. And the people I refer to
really don't know much of what they are screwing up.

I see people worried because someone is thought to be over-due and they
know he doesn't have a flight plan. (grow up, don't leave that kind of
burden hanging around for your wife or friends, leaving them wondering
and unsure.)

You wanted to lure Michelle into the argument that, no flight plan
causes accidents, but that is a joke.

What is in-escapable is the correlation between the two.

And the correlation between flight planning and fewer accidents.

Why?

Complete flight planning is one of the earmarks of a conscientious
pilot. And conscientious pilots are generally going to be safer in their
flying and more likely to keep honing or truly maintaining their skills,
rather than thinking idle flying makes them a good pilot. That's just
how it is.

I have met many an ego, err I mean "eagle" who is very weak at flight
planning. Could barely even file a flight plan as it has been 10 plus
years. Weather, nope. So they use the weather channel or phone the
destination. I see some of them land hot, porpoise and smoke the brakes.
They know how to get flight following and talking to atc makes them
think they are good pilots. I see them cut others off, and it is okay to
them because they have been doing it for years. But they really do enjoy
the ride.

They mean well and in their mind they are working hard at it, so feel
they must be good at it. It is easy to give yourself good marks.
Especially when you are in an environment where there is no real
yardstick beside you.

Sure it is possible to be an excellent pilot and choose to not to file a
flight plan or itinerary. But that is pretty irresponsible, so I
withdraw the use of the word excellent.

There is never 'one' cockroach.