Old October 27th 11, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Default Stall Warning Indicators and Your safety

On Oct 27, 9:21*am, soartech wrote:
On Oct 27, 2:09*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:

As an engineer your mission, should you accept it, is to build a prototype, show it works well/reliably and without lots of false alarms and then show enough folks to get their endorsements supporting you that it works. Until then you can read all the past threads here where other people have said the same things, and nobody has produced anything that has managed to get any significant number of glider pilots using it or even excited about using it.

As mentioned all those C302s out there have basic stall speed warning capability, and I believe most pilots have it turned off/set to a low speed, I suspect either from ignorance of the feature existing or because (if they find out about the feature) the annoying/false alarms.

Darryl

Thanks for the input guys. I do own a Brauniger flight instrument for
HG and have found the stall indicator on that also is very annoying,
constantly going off while thermalling.So, it turned it off. *I
suspect an angle of attack sensor will give better results than
airspeed. I will have to do some research, building and
experimentation to find the answer. Is there anyone out there willing
to defend the warning system in their Cambridge 302?

I recall an ad for such device in the soaring magazine awhile back.
I turned off my 302 slow speed alarm after trying it few times. It was
a distraction while thermaling unless you set it low enough that it
become useless...

Ramy