Old May 21st 04, 10:04 AM
Jukka I Seppänen

nt (Krztalizer) writes:

Howdy, Jukka. Always a pleasure to hear from you.

Howdy, but you probably mix me with Jukka O. Kauppinen?

I have never heard of any German say they'd pick a Bf 109 G-6/R6 (the
cannon-schiffe with underwing pods), although Gustavs with traditional weaponry
seemed popular. The Erla haube made a huge difference, as did the addition of
cockpit armor. Never heard anyone mentioning a preference for any model prior
to the Emil. As Art pointed out, the Emil, particularly with the centerline
cannon, was very popular with the pilots. By the time the K-4 came out, pilots
didn't even care what model they had, the 'kites' were judged on an individual
basis: some G-6s were preferred over G-10s and Ks, if the former were
considered to be of better manufacture.

As an dogfighter most powerful, lightest and reliable engine would be preferred
option if flight characteristics otherwise doesn't decline.

Did engine upgrades happen in field also in E-, G- and K-series Me-109's and
was there a preferred engine/blower combo?

I have read that DB's (and alla others) engines quality diminish all the time,
estimated work hours dropped hundreds of hours to some dozen hours.
Thats why aces wanted to stay "old" models and engines?

Jukka