Old July 16th 04, 04:32 PM
William W. Plummer

G. Burkhart wrote:
"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:22:56 GMT, "William W. Plummer"
wrote:

I was looking at the FAA N-number database. Everything seems to have a
mode S code, even a friend's balloon that doesn't have a transponder.
Can anybody explain that?

It's probably easier to assign a code to *everything* that has an

N-number.

After all, the FAA may eventually require all aircraft to carry a
transponder. Plus, if your friend's balloon is eventually decommissioned
and the N-number reassigned, the Mode S code is already established.

I may be wrong, but isn't the S code unique for an aircraft? If an aircraft
changes its N number, does the S code change too? If an N number is
reassigned to another aircraft does the S code change?

My guess is the S code is unique to the transponder, not the plane.