Old November 30th 04, 02:48 PM
Ron Natalie

Roy Smith wrote:

Sounds like yet another a good reason to prefer self-briefing with DUATS
over FSS.

I suspect this is going to be an unpopular opinion, but...

The idea that my tax dollars are going to pay for somebody to read a
computer printout to a pilot when he could read it himself just as
easily is absurd. Or for that matter, to play data entry clerk with
flight plans.

Yes, this service is essential for in-flight needs, or for those times
when there's no duats access available (pretty rare these days). But
I've watched pilots sit down in front of the computer in the pilot
lounge and pick up the phone to call 1-800-WX-BRIEF. It just doesn't
make sense. Especially since you can get plain-english if you don't
want to read the coded version.

Frankly, Roy, before 9-11 I'd agree with you 100%. The NOTAM system
was (still is) horrendously broken, and your chances of getting relevent
NOTAMS was a crap shoot, even when you KNEW that there should be a NOTAM
for a particular location.

I still DUAT, but since I have to get stuck in the 20 minute call queue
to file to get out of my home field, I still end up having to talk to
the Ed's at the Leesburg AFSS.

Of course if they cut all all of this bull**** security window dressing
the load on the DC area FSS and ATC outlets would become managable again.