Old September 19th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default Tie Down Straps - Help Needed

"brianDG303" wrote in message
I always get tie down stuff from Mac's. They sell a nice strap for $5,
and check out this strap pad-

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/115/TieDowns

The CLAW- when I looked at this I decided to use flyties (
http://www.flyties.com/ ). The Claw looks like it will hold great as
long as the pulling force is directly up, but if the load moves around
it seems like the device itself would act as a lever with the near
arms prying the far stake up and out. In any case off center loads
will concentrate on individual stakes, perhaps.

Or maybe I just like the flyties better. The tool they give you to
pull the stakes out is really nice.

FWIW, I know of two gliders totaled as a result of the "claw" pulling out of
the ground. Gliders tend to repeatedly yank at their tiedowns in a storm.
This will weaken the hold of almost any stake system including the "Claw".