Old May 1st 07, 06:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mike Henley

Default Ejection seat trivia

"Chuck" wrote in message
While stationed at NAS Alameda in the mid-50's, I believe that Kinchelow
was killed on
final to R/W31. As I understood it, He tried to roll inverted but was too
low and ejected
sideways into the water. Perhaps it was someone else but I know it
happened.
My memory gets foggy after 50 some years.

"Scubabix" wrote in message
Correction, the pilot killed in the 104 collision with the XB-70 was Joe
Walker, then NASA Chief Test Pilot. Al White successfully ejected from
the 70 but Major Carl Cross died on impact.
Rob

"Scubabix" wrote in message

"Chuck" wrote in message
Wasn't Ivan Kinchelow killed in one of these?

I believe so, chasing the XB-70
Rob

IVEN C. KINCHELOE was killed July 26,1958 ejecting from a F-104A at Edwards
AFB. He had been named as one of the first X-15 pilots. After his death he
was replaced on the X-15 program by Bob White (not to be confused with Al
White, the XB-70 pilot).

His death was responsible for Lockheed and the Air Force replacing the
Lockheed Stanley C-1 seat with the C-2 upward ejecting seat.