Old March 13th 11, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Brian Whatcott

Default Plane for Short Field, Grass Strip, Beginner?

On 3/9/2011 8:03 AM, MBDiagMan wrote:
First of all, thanks for the replies.

As further information on my proposed field. It would have two strips,
one about 15/33, 1,200 feet or a little more with short fences at either
end. The other would be about a 3/21, same length with 100' tall trees
on the South end. The prevailing winds would make the 21 the most
common, meaning taking off over the trees.

I am currently looking at a C140A with 100HP and a climb prop. It is
for sale near by and I should get a demo flight as soon as the weather
cooperates.

Thanks for any further comments and advice.

C-150 rated climb at gross is 1385 ft to a 50 foot obstacle still air.
That makes your rwy 21 iffy, though the C140 has better performance.

Brian W