Old March 31st 11, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave[_1_]

Default Plane for Short Field, Grass Strip, Beginner?

You might find this interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Od9s_VEXS8

I am the pilot, 150 hp Warrior, temp is 7 deg C. Fuel is at tabs, 70
lbs in baggage, I am alone (160 lbs)

Camera is 600 ft down the rny..

Mattisons mods (seals and VG's) and his takeoff technique...

Good luck with your search!

Cheers!

Dave

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 20:18:18 +0000, MBDiagMan
wrote:

'Dave[_1_ Wrote:
;765111']OKaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.....

Check out the Cherokees...

Parts cheaper than Cessnas, and slipping with full flaps (no
restrictions) will bring it down like a cinder block safely.

Find one with Art Mattisons gap seals and VG's and the short runway
would be no issue.. (or add them later... easy.....)

We have these mods on our Warrior, and the low speed, takeoff/landing
performance is stunning....

Plus, two more seats and FAR more comfortable (and suitable) for cross
country flights..

Late 60's and early 70's 140's with a mid time engine/ light panels
should be on $$$ reach..

Good Luck!

Dave

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 12:19:42 +0000, MBDiagMan
wrote:
-

Bug Dout;765065 Wrote: -
MBDiagMan
writes:
-
I am currently looking at a C140A with 100HP and a climb prop.-
Excellent. That should do the job on takeoff and climb out. I forget,
does that have flaps? Is some small amount of flaps recommended for
soft-field takeoff?

Check its ability to slip (for landing), as well as any restrictions
on
slipping with flaps.

--
What is either a picture or a novel that is not character?
- Henry James-

Thanks Bug, that is some great information to have and good questions
about the plane.

I do know that the C120's had no flaps while the C140 and C140A did. I
have read that the 140 flaps are only marginally effective and the 140A
flaps are only slightly more effective than that.

Investigating it's slipping capabilities is something I had not thought
about, so thanks for pointing this out. I will also investigate flap
usage for soft field take off.

I will be able to go fly it next week if we get the weather for it.

Thanks again,-

Thanks very much for the reply Dave!

I have always been a fan of the Cherokee, but several folks elsewhere
have said that it wouldn't be a good choice for my proposed field. They
might have said that before I realized the field will be closer to 1,300
feet than my originally estimated 1,100 feet.

That said, the forward slip is fine for getting in, but I don't think
that getting in will be a problem. Getting out over those trees will be
the problem. If there's an economy nose wheel, four place plane that
can do it, I'm all ears.

Thanks again for all the comments.