Old June 4th 15, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

Default CAFE Electric Aircraft Symposium Set For May 1

wrote in :

After reading that article, I have come to the conclusion that hydrogen
as fuel will become a general economic reality only if at least one of two
things happen:

The world runs out of petroleum, natural gas, and coal and there is no
other choice.

There is huge advancement in electricity production, such as cheap
fusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_economy#Costs

I haven't finished the article, but that's also been my general
opinion.

Your item number one has a second ramification. Fossil fuels are
currently the primary mineral source for hydrogen production. So
running out of fossil fuel means switching to hydrogen requires
switching hydrogen production methods. Of course, there's plenty
of sea water, but that leads to your number two.

I think item two is required no matter what we do. Either we use
the electricity directly, or use it to power the production of
things like hydrogen as an energy storage medium. Remember, hydrogen
is not an energy SOURCE, because it has to be manufactured. Fossil
fuel is an energy source because all we have to do is extract it
and do a little refining. It already exists in tangible form.

Brian
--
http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/index.php - Earth Sciences discussion
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?