Old June 5th 15, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Skywise

Default CAFE Electric Aircraft Symposium Set For May 1

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

Of course, for this to be realized, significant engineering remains to
be accomplished, but the path to electrically powered aircraft isn't a
dead end due to the laws of physics.

VERY SIGNIFICANT engineering.

None of my rough calculations take into consideration the means
by which to store LH2 safely in a vehicle. For one thing, there
will certainly be a weight penalty. If enough, it may offset any
efficiency gains. Steel pressure tanks aren't the lightest things
in the world. I recall work being done in the past in the space
program to make composite LH2 tanks, but they just couldn't ever
withstand the pressures. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_X-33

But here's another safety thought. Would you want planes flying
around that are basically hydrogen 'bombs'? I mean, it's bad
enough when any aircraft crashes, but one with a tank of pressurized
LH2 on board?

hmmm... BLEVE anyone?

Brian
--