Old August 1st 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

Default Non-precision approach without a published MAP?

Dave S wrote:

what I thought was unique and remarkable about this approach, which
nobody seems to notice what I was actually referring to.. was that the
MAP wasnt before the runway, or over the threshhold, or over
midfield.... but clean past the whole stinkin airport. Hadn't seen that
before.. til now.

Keep in mind that what is important about the MAP is that it is not
necessarily the point at which a safe descent to the runway will occur, or
even the point at which the airport will be spotted, but rather that it is
the point at which the pilot *begins* flying the missed approach.

This is especially important on approaches such as Starke County (the
approach linked and discussed in this thread) where it is imperative that
the pilot continue along the final approach to the MAP before beginning the
missed instructions.

Terrain or man-made obstacles might dictate flying the final approach
course past the airport before the missed can begin, or perhaps in this
approach's case it was simply that the VOR was close enough to the airport
to conveniently designate the missed approach point (although given that
this VOR is co-located with a DME that could have been used to designate a
closer MAP, maybe not)?

Call me green.. I dont care..

I just rolled 1,000 hours with plenty of actual IMC and I still consider
myself green.

--
Peter