Old September 27th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
zatatime

Default 3-blade prop?

On 25 Sep 2006 20:31:35 -0700, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

Any input either way would be great. Anyone converted to the 3-blade
prop in the Pathfinder/Dakota/Cherokee Six line? Anything good or bad
to say would be helpful.

I studied this ad nauseum when I sent my prop out for an overhaul and
one of the blades was bad. I think alot of the decision will depend
on what type of blades you have now. If you have the 1A blades and
can't get a new blade see how much it would cost to buy a new 2 blade
set up vs. a new 3-blade - I haven't looked at the numbers recently.
1A blades are very hard to come by (my prop shop wouldn't even make
one call to try to find one, I had to do it all myself). I ended up
finding a 1A blade in Denmark which is in fantastic shape.

If you have the 1BF blade type you should be able to find replacements
easy if you need them. For me the added drag on a plane that already
has poor glide characteristics along with many vibration complaints
from people I talked to who upped to 3 blades in similar aircraft,
significant expense, and unknown future ADs was enough to say no
thanks. The 3 blade prop is a composite so I doubt you can dress it
like an aluminum prop and who knows what will come out on them in the
next 10 years.

I also was interested in the ground clearance as I fly in and out of
grass fields about 30% of the time (one of which is pretty rough). I
have to say that I've never (knock on wood) had any problems with the
standard prop I have, even when my nose strut was lower than it should
be.

If your blades are good, no decision to be made at all. Do the
overhaul, and use what you have.

As far as prop shops, I would highly recommend AGAINST using Sensenich
Propeller service in Pennsylvania (not affiliated with Sensenich
propeller manufacturers). After they wouldn't help me find a blade,
they refused to give the bad one back to me. I struggled with them
for a long time to have the blade sent back with the prop when they
delivered it. Finally they agreed, but wouldn't you know, it was
conveniently left in the hangar back in PA when they showed up. I
called back and they told me to come pick it up. When I went out
there to get it no one could figure out where it was!!!!!!! Far too
many coincidences for me to swallow. My experience isn't alone, I
have 1 good friend and 2 others I know from flying who have had
similar experiences with poor service and non-return of parts. I did
see one post in favor of this shop. Maybe for fixed pitch they are
ok, but for a constant speed I'd stay farther away than where you live
from them.

I hope this helps you a little bit. Given the posts I've seen you
make touting the savings auto fuel gives you, I think the economics
may not add up.

(I own a 1967 235B by the way.)