Old May 19th 17, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default O2 and

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 10:21:03 AM UTC-7, gkemp wrote:
On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 8:20:36 AM UTC-7, quietpilot wrote:
Bouncing off a comment from another thread.

a number of we "not in our 40s anymore" pilots are setting the O2 to kick in at 5000 msl.

O2 is cheap. Clarity of mind at altitude - priceless!

Being in the middle of my 40s myself. I recall spending time periodically in various smoke filled rooms when I was younger before the attacks on tobacco set laws in motion. Although I didn't smoke myself, the 2nd hand effects were noticeable even then. Do people who set their O2 to start at 5kmsl think environmental factors were important or just adjusting to the requirements of age in the interest of safety? I start feeling the need about 12kmsl and set it at 10K

O2 cheap? Perhaps in Hobbs, in the midwest all I get are weird looks. I have had an empty tank for years but would like to take the fiberglass stallion somewhere more dynamic eventually and not have to hunt for 02 once there.

Curiously

I remember reading an air force study some years ago where they found reduced judgement in their pilots at 5000 feet. I started using oxygen from 5K from then on.

Gary Kemp (NK)

Flying at Truckee, I would need to turn on the oxygen on the drive to the gliderport, since the pass is 7200 msl and the runway is 5900 msl.

Also the answer must surely depend on aclimatization: going from sea level to 12,000 in an hour is different than your second or third day living at 5900 ft and going to 12,000.