Old June 27th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Charles Talleyrand

Default Visit to the Control Tower

I just visited our local control tower. We're a small field.
Interesting things I learned include ...

1) There is just one guy working at a time, plus a possible second
doing paperwork. There are five guys total on staff. They are all ex
military.

2) There is a radar on the field, and the tower is wired to show the
radar to the guys in the cab, but there is in fact no display. The
display is in center, 400 miles away. To get a display they need
30,000 movements per year. They have 29,000.

3) Often there is only one guy on duty. When he needs to go to the
bathroom, he can take a hand held radio and field calls sitting in the
"office".

4) They have a mental list of pilots that need special attention.
They don't write it down.

5) General Aviation activity is decreasing locally. They blame fuel
prices.

6) One of the five guys is a pilot who owns a Cherokee, but he doesn't
fly because it's too expensive.

7) There is an emergency generator. They test it once per week for a
hour.

8) The cab has weights for weightlifting, fridge and microwave, but no
television.