Old October 13th 04, 10:39 PM
Peter Clark

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:58:27 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .
You meet the night cross country requirement with either flight listed
above. There's no requirement for a solo night cross country of any
distance in the regs. If you've done 10 night takeoffs and landings
you meet the requirements for that part of the reg.

My reading of the first paragraph above is that *both* (i) and (ii)
are required, and the word "night" does apply to both (i) and (ii).

Yes, it does. I assume that Peter Clark was not implying that the XC flight
required by 61.109(2)(i) is not required to be done at night; rather, I read
his statement to (correctly) mean that there's no *SOLO* night XC
requirement. The only night XC requirement specifically requires an
instructor to be on board.

Yep, I stand corrected in that the 3 hours night training "that
includes" would mandate the cross country be part of that 3 hours and
thus logged as dual received wouldn't it. So the extra solo night
cross country wouldn't be useful for anything under this part.

In a UK-registered aircraft and/or in the UK, of course. AFAIK, the UK
license doesn't make you legal in the US, flying a US-registered aircraft.
It's not clear from any of your posts which certificate (the UK license or
the US student pilot certificate) you're using as the basis for legality for
the various flights you're making, or where those flights were made.

If it is a standard UK certificate, wouldn't his easier path be
getting a US PPL based on foreign cert, a-la 61.75?

Anyone, American or not, can get an FAA Private Pilot Certificate without
doing those. However, they will have a "no night flying" restriction on
their certificate.

Actually, I believe you might be mistaken on this one - the only night
exemption is I can see is 61.110 which appears to apply to Alaska
only.