Old November 27th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Did I violate an FAR?

Anonymous coward #673 wrote:
The other day I was under the hood with a safety pilot, but I was not
IFR current. I requested a "practice approach in VFR conditions" and
was cleared for an actual approach. I advised ATC that I just wanted a
practice approach and they said, "We have to put you in the system for
[some cockamamie reason that I can no longer recall -- spacing or
something like that]." So I ended up flying the approach in VFR
conditions but under an actual IFR clearance even though I was not
instrument current. Did I violate an FAR? If so, what should I have
done instead?

You should file a NASA Aviation Safety Report on this. In that way you
have immunity from any possible (unlikely) enforcement action and, more
important, the ATC tapes will be reviewed and the situation corrected.