Old August 31st 03, 01:39 AM
Michael Wise

In article ,
(Michael Petukhov) wrote:

commander-in-chief of Russian NAVY admiral Kuroedov told
press that forces of russian pacific ocean fleet have
detected in Saturday and also today foreign submarines
in the area near Kamchatka where large scale manoeuvres of our
fleet are carried out. "We are fully in control of this
situation and prepared to interact with our foreign
"observers" in this way as well. Perhaps those subs
came instead of observers who were invited but did not
came from some countries", he said //Interfax

Yesterday there were news reports that two Tu-160s arrived
to Vladivostok to carry out missions in "long distant ocean
zone". Tu-160s never operated in Pacific Ocean area.

Probably could make this statement 360 days out of the year and it
would be true, no need to actually 'detect' them, they are there.

1) the detected sub is dead sub in a war conditions.

You've obviously never done ASW. Detecting the sub is only part of the
battle; you still have to localize it, develop an attack plot, and then
launch the attack. Of course, the sub will probably know it has been
detected and wont wait around to become a victim during all this.

How many subs have you ever tracked, Mikhai?

Tu-160 searching for US subs.... Well sounds like a joke
of the week. We have other means to search for your subs like
Tu-142, Il-38, Ka-27 etc.

You have a lot of aviation means to _search" for our subs...but this
doesn't mean your aviation assets can actually find them. I've seen the
ASW avionics in the Ka-25 and 27....what a joke. I doubt the Il-38 is
any better.

Remind me sometime to tell you about the time the aircraft carrier I was
on (USS Kitty Hawk) ran over one of you Victor class subs in the Sea of
Japan (1984) and spun it 360 degrees leaving one of its props stuck on
the side of our ship. I'm sure some people on that sub must have been
majorly messed up. Funny story...eh?

--Mike