Old October 20th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

Default Fuel System Musings, comments encouraged

"Copperhead" wrote in message
Also insofar as fuel pumps are concerned what are the
possibilities regarding the use of an electric fuel pump?

Electrical fuel pumps are very reliable things, electrical systems are
unfortunately somewhat less reliable. The first is useless without the other.

I had an alternator quietly die on a cross country in a rental airplane a
year or two ago. I noticed the problem when my low voltage light winked on.
Shortly after that, radios and other electrical gizmos started to die in spite
of my power conservation efforts. Since it was a gravity feed Cessna, it sure
was nice to not have to wonder when the engine was going to stop.

If I can't have gravity feed, give me the combination of a mechanical pump
backed up by electrical boost pumps.

Vaughn