Old February 8th 18, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stu

Default Hard Deck

OK, this thread has been well beat to death by several thoughtful writers. It is time to hear from the other pilots that fly contests.
I have been flying contests since 1987. Only fly one regional contest per year and have done fairly well in the rankings. I would estimate that I get low (under 1,200 ft.) maybe once every other contest. Don’t think I have ever had a save under 500 ft., but am comfortable climbing out from 600 ft. (given very good landing options). I would agree with those that state there is no advantage to getting low and having a save – it usually costs significant extra time to climb out because the low saves are not normally the best thermals. I would say that I have won several contests because I was able to climb out from low saves (in fairly strong thermals).

I do believe that I would fly slightly more conservative if there were a Hard Deck, however, I think there would be situations where I may still get low. Once low, then the Hard Deck would not change my thermaling at or below the Hard Deck. If I broke the hard deck I would still thermal at a level that I would be comfortable. How low I would thermal would depend on the landing options but the Hard Deck would in no way affect my decision.
So in a nut shell, I do not support a Hard Deck. Let’s hear form other pilots that regularly fly contests.

Stu Larimore
2Z