Old May 22nd 04, 02:15 PM

Roy Smith wrote:

Of course, it's utterly absurd that we should have to go to these
contortions to get flight plans in the system when we want them. We've
passed the point where desktop PC's have more memory than the FAA
computers. We're now at the point where iPods have more.

The FAA is out of money for modernization. They can barely keep up with
maintenance and their GIANT payroll.

They couch their failures in obtuse concepts of "performance or customer
based programs."

Meanwhile the STARS TRACON system is slowing down, the Data-Link "promise"
(first made in the early 1970s) is once again slowing down, and WAAS seems
to be going nowhere.

In that scheme of events, the processing of G/A flight plans isn't exactly
on the top of the pile. Keep in mind that the airlines and biz jets don't
have flight plan issues.~