Old February 1st 18, 06:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Thomas Van de Velde

Default ClearVav vs. LXNav

Get an S100 and hook it up to an Android tablet with XCSoar over Bluetooth. No need to spend several thousands of dollars on sub-optimal software.

On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 6:07:50 PM UTC-8, Dave Springford wrote:
As an LX dealer - I'll comment on a couple of the LX features as I have limited experience with ClearNav. To me the difference is the same as Windows vs Mac, some people just like one better than the other although they both do the same thing.

"glide amoeba" - the LX computers also have this feature, but I find that it overly clutters the screen so I don't use it. Instead, much like SeeYou Mobile the LX system colourizes the labels for landable points within glide. Green label if you can get there with your current MacCready setting, yellow if you can get there at MC 0 and no colour if you can't get there. (all of this taking into account your pre-programmed reserve altitude)

AAT calculations - the LX has two features to help with AAT decisions. The first is a set of isospeed lines inside the AAT zone (lines of constant task speed) If you fly parallel to these lines you are not gaining extra speed, you need to fly perpendicular to them. This helps you decide which direction to fly inside the zone The second is an undertime/overtime colouring of the zone. There is a red section and a blue section inside the zone. If you turn while in the blue you will be undertime based on the currently estimated task speed. If you turn in the red area you will be overtime. If you turn at the dividing line between the two colours you will be "on time".