Old February 12th 18, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Trig TT21 + TN72 TABS ADS-B Out Install working great....

On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 4:35:10 PM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
My ClearNav II displays ADS-B In targets generated by my PowerFlarm
portable unit.

A question for Darryl (or a general whine):Â* My Stemme is exempt from
the ADS-B requirement as a glider but, since it's a certificated
aircraft, I probably can't use the TN-72 GPS with my TT22 transponder.Â*
Is there any chance of such a system being installed in a certificated
glider?

Dan

On 2/11/2018 5:01 PM, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 6:04:37 PM UTC-5, Darryl Ramm wrote:
I just helped set up the Ramy Yanetz ASG29's TRIG TT21 transponder with a TN72 GPS Source to use as a TABS ADS-B out system. That along with PowerFLARM in his glider makes for a pretty capable overall traffic awareness/collision avoidance system.

So Ramy is using the PowerFlarm for ADS-B In? What display? Is it linked to a moving map? Any significant limitations to that configuration?

--
Dan, 5J

Dan

You can use the TN72 with any Trig Transponder in your type certificated glider... but only as a TABS ADS-B Out setup... which means in practice you get all the benefits of ADS-B Out... except you can't use that to meet any 2020 ADS-B Out flight requirements... e.g. you could not say fly in Class A, B or C airspace, etc. with your glider after January 1, 2020 with a TABS ADS-B setup. But as for use in advertising your position to ADS-B In equipped aircraft and ATC, and making you an ADS-B client aircraft (if say you want to get TIS-B services to a Stratus/Stratux box)... that all works great just doing TABS.

If you want to operate your Stemme after January 1 2020 in areas that require ADS-B Out for gliders then you would need a "2020 compliant" install, which with a Trig transponder would normally use a TN70 TSO-C145c GPS Source. (And in this case the TSO is important... and the silliness is if this was an experimental glider you could actually use the TN72 for a 2020 compliant install). Having fun yet?

And yes you have a right to whine. ADS-B is a painful unfortunate confusing mess. But I can't even play the piano so don't shoot me :-)

Darryl