View Single Post
Old February 12th 18, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default Trig TT21 + TN72 TABS ADS-B Out Install working great....

On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 4:01:58 PM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 6:04:37 PM UTC-5, Darryl Ramm wrote:
I just helped set up the Ramy Yanetz ASG29's TRIG TT21 transponder with a TN72 GPS Source to use as a TABS ADS-B out system. That along with PowerFLARM in his glider makes for a pretty capable overall traffic awareness/collision avoidance system.

So Ramy is using the PowerFlarm for ADS-B In? What display? Is it linked to a moving map? Any significant limitations to that configuration?

(sorry if we get repeat replies here, Google groups seems to be having problems with my replies)

This ASG29 has a LX9000 display and the setup with his PowerFLARM has not changed... it receives 1090ES In like all most of the PowerFLARM sold in the USA and displays that on the LX9000 just as it had previously. All that was done recently was send the TT21 in for a firmware update (required for TABS/ADS-B Out) and have the TN72 connected and the half dozen or so software settings twiddled in the TT21 to set it up for TABS.

And as I have warned about before on r.a.s. ... PowerFLARM does not decode ADS-R or TIS-B and having 1090ES Out/TABS does not change anything here. But with so much traffic being 1090ES Out you at least see that... and like today... all the traffic anywhere near the area was 1090ES Out (I have a dual-link receiver and was watching for that). But now Ramy's glider has 1090ES Out and is visible to other aircraft via 1090ES direct, and possibly ADS-R to suitably equipped UAT client aircraft, and via ADS-B to ATC. BTW since I've also been saying this at some recent talks/seminars I'll say it here as well... the good folks at FLARM are well aware of lack of ADS-R and TIS-B support with PowerFLARM. I have hope there will be a solution there in future.