Old July 3rd 03, 10:01 PM
Ernest Christley

Rich S. wrote:
"Stealth Pilot" wrote in message

Chris the W8 tailwind I fly has 5.00x5 cleveland brakes and hubs.
the flange plate isnt welded to the wittman leg on mine.
there is a piece of tube(about an inch or so long) which is a snug
sliding fit over the inner end of the axle. this has a 4130 "washer"
over it welded to make an annular flange. this tube collar is located
on the axle by a single AN3 bolt.

(btw if my memory is faulty the bolt is definitely no bigger than AN4)

the bolt through the axle intersects the collar twice (once on each
side) so it is in double shear.
the cleveland brake locating plate bolts to the "washer" with 4 AN3
bolts.
has been in use for 500 hours over 18 years.

Then it would seem that you have been carrying 4 unneeded bolts, nuts and
maybe washers around Oz for lo these many years. )

Rich "Why have four when two will do?" S.

One thing to keep in mind is that the bolt through the axle, unlike the
ones on the calipers, will get nearly zero twisting moment.

--
----Because I can----
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/