Old December 3rd 10, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

Default What First Glider to own?

I can vouch for Dave's LS-1F as it lives right next to my Ka-6Cr, and
it's a beautiful ship.

If you are looking to get a budget minded ship with decent performance
ths Ka-6 isn't too bad. Close to 30:1 and pretty good XC potential if
you can find the thermals. And if you don't the bakes on them can get
you into just about any alfalfa field :-)

Beyond that the Ka-6 is a dream to fly. It's well harmonized, and
really doesn't have any bad flying habits. If you still have the
offset CG hook youll need to be aware of it's quirks, but it's nowhere
close to the boogeyman people make it out to be. Assmbly is petty
straight forward, and the control hookups are right out in the open
(none of that l'hotellier junk...).

Best of all you can find some pretty good deals on the beautiful old
wooden birds. I got mine in pretty decent shape with a workable
trailer for $4500. Oh yes and parts do grow on trees :-)

Pete