Old September 3rd 12, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default PowerFLARM protocol version 6

On Sep 3, 10:28*am, "kirk.stant" wrote:
I'm playing with my PFB (on ground near big airport) and while I'm getting good Mode A/C/S hits out to 5NM, I have yet to get an ADS-B return. Is there some special setting in the FLARMcfg file that's needed to enable ADS-B?

Hi Kirk,

In Glendale I see ADS-B targets but not nearly as many as transponder
alone. A few of the airliners approaching KPHX on the MAIR FIVE show
as ADS-B equipped but most are not. The ADS-B targets I see are
usually arriving/departing KDVT. Not surprising that bizjets would
have it but airliners not. Quite possible that the ADS-B targets I
see out of KDVT are avionics flight test aircraft as there are several
based there.

email me if you want some screen photos.

I know that Boeing recently certified for ADS-B Out on the 777 so
expect the others will tag along slowly.

I'm using the brick and Butterfly display and have not included any
commands for port enabling or activating protocol version 6. I have
pushed put my ADS-B and PCAS altitudes way above the defaults though.

BTW in watching the local traffic I think I've identified 2 potential
software bugs in display ver 3.0 when running in "selection" mode.

1. If a target 3 character identifier is displayed, then that
identifier remains associated with all subsequently displayed targets
until the display (only) is reset.

2. With 2 ADS-B targets and a PCAS target, and the PCAS target being
the selected target, when the PCAS target drops out then no target is
selected. Would have expected one of the remaining ADS-B target to
become selected.

I'll continue to look out for these, although I think I have enough
supporting photos.

Andy