Old September 5th 12, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default PowerFLARM protocol version 6

On Sep 3, 10:28*am, "kirk.stant" wrote:
I'm playing with my PFB (on ground near big airport) and while I'm getting good Mode A/C/S hits out to 5NM, I have yet to get an ADS-B return. Is there some special setting in the FLARMcfg file that's needed to enable ADS-B?

Also, in the DataportManual v6.00E, it talks about enabling protocol version 6 via the $PFLAC,S,NMEAOUTn,61 command (n=1 for RJ45, n=2 for Dsub9), but it also states that

"Warning: Values = 40 are volatile and not stored in EEPROM. They will revert to (Value modulo 10) at the next powerup or reset. Example: 43 reverts to 3. This is to make sure that no FLARM accidentally runs a recent version of the protocol if a legacy display or other device is connected."

So, my question (finally!) is: *Do we need to enable protocol 6, and if we do, is it reset everytime back to the default? Or should we just leave the NMEAOUT command to 1 for both ports 1 and 2?

Fun stuff, kinda...

Kirk

Over the weekend I noticed 2 targets showed up on my Portable PF
screen; one was a large triangle with a +99 and the other was a
smaller triangle with just an up arrow next to it. There was no glider
traffic in the area (with PF). I went to the Flarm Screen on my LK8000
and saw the aircraft were cruising about 30,000+ feet. I though
something must be wrong until I looked up and to the NE where there
were 2 sets of contrails basically matching what the info PF was
showing.

It was kinda cool to see this, but do I need to know this kind of
info?

Brad