Old May 12th 04, 12:47 PM
Michael Houghton

Howdy!

In article ,
wrote:
On Mon, 10 May 2004 10:25:49 -0400, Peter R.
wrote:

As a relatively newly-certificated pilot (two years ago), I am curious
about the upcoming emergence of the seventeen-year cicada in the northeast
and midwest US later this May.

Are there any hazards to aircraft associated with these insects, either on
the ground or in the air?

I've lived on the east coast all my life and have never seen clouds of
Cicada's, ever. There have been summers when they were a bit noisier
than others, but never clouds of them.

You don't want to hit one of those things riding a motorcycle without
a full face mask though...

Oy! Reminds me of the story a friend told of catching a June beetle in the
cheek under similar circumstances...

My experience has been that Cicada's don't fly very high, they travel
from tree to tree.

....and they don't really swarm...

yours,
Michael

| White Wolf and the Phoenix
Bowie, MD, USA | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff

http://www.radix.net/~herveus/